How to make frozen FilipinoÂ Sylvanas Recipe.
Sylvanas Recipe. Try this yummy goodness, Filipino Sylvanas Recipe. This is a favorite cookie dessert in the Philippine Islands especially in the Visayas region. If you’re not in the Philippines you can make your own using this recipe. It is a super buttery cream sandwiched between two cashew-meringue wafers, coated with cake or cashew crumbs. It is often referred to as a cookie version of Sans Rival. Sylvanas is best served frozen because they become crunchy. It satisfies a totally different kind of food cravings. The type of dessert that would get you to forget your name, it is so good. So indulgent, you should try!
- 1/2 cup egg whites
- 1 tsp. cream of tartar
- 3/4 cup caster sugar
- 1/4 tsp. almond extract
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour , sifted
- 1/2 cup cashew nuts, finely ground and sifted
- 1/2 cup butter, softened at room temp.
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/8 cup milk
- 1 3/4 cups cashew nuts, finely ground + 1/4 cup bread crumbs or
- 1 3/4 cups cake crumbs + 1/4 cup cashew nuts, finely ground
- Preheat oven to 300F. Grease and flour cookie sheet or use a good quality wax paper. Grind cashew nuts finely in a food processor with all-purpose flour. But if you don’t have you can do it manually with mortar and pestle as what I did. Sieve crushed cashew nuts and set aside. Sift all-purpose flour in a separate bowl and set aside as well. Combine egg whites and cream of tartar in a mixing bowl with wire whip attachment. Mix at medium speed for 1 minute while gradually adding the caster sugar. Switch the speed and add the almond extract, continue beating the egg whites until stiff peaks are formed and glossy.
- Fold in flour and cashew nuts together over a sieve and gradually cut and fold until well blended. Put mixture into piping bag and snip the end with a scissor. Pipe meringue onto the prepared cookie sheet lined with wax paper. To yield the same size of meringue wafer make a circle pattern using any size of round shape you got and trace it on the wax paper for an even outline. In this procedure I used a 2 inch cookie cutter, the size is just perfect for me.
- Pipe meringue evenly onto the sheet, this recipe makes 24 wafers; yields a dozen of decadent sylvana. Bake the meringue in the center of the oven for 25 minutes or until lightly brown. Let it cool completely before transferring to a wire rack to prevent the wafers from cracking. Meringue wafers are fragile when it’s hot and very easy to peel off when it’s completely cooled.
- Prepare icing while waiting for the meringue wafer to cool down. Cream the butter, add the sugar, then add the milk and set aside. In a bowl crumble leftover sponge cake, mamon or any plain yellow cake. In this recipe I’m using one of my Torta Mamon Cebuano that I made earlier. Crumble the cake finely and add the finely ground cashew nuts and mix well, then set aside.
- To prepare the other coating mixture mix finely ground cashew nuts and add the bread crumbs in a separate bowl and mix well, then set aside. If you don’t have bread crumbs that would be fine ‘coz it’s just an extender (cashews are expensive why not add a cheaper extender, that doesn’t compromise the taste anyway).