How to make Coconut Ice Candy Recipe.
Buko Ice Candy Recipe. It’s Summer time again and refreshment stalls are everywhere. The ice craze is back! There’s a lot of refreshing coolers to choose from and Ice Candy “Agogo” is the most popular and super affordable of them all in the Philippines. Buko Ice candy is made with fresh young coconut meat, coconut water, sweetened condensed milk, fresh milk, sugar and cornstarch. Ice candy is prepared by mixing fruits, milk and sugar, then pour the mixture into Agogo wrapper and freeze until frozen. A delicious and addicting frozen treats to enjoy, especially during this hot summer.
Makes : 20
- 1 piece young coconut, scraped into strings
- 2 cups coconut water (buko juice)
- 1 tbsp. cornstarch
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1½ cups evaporated or fresh milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract (optional)
You also Need:
- A Ladle and a Funnel.
- Agogo Wrapper (I use “Texas” a narrow plastic bag)
- In a saucepan, combine 1 tablespoon of cornstarch into coconut water and stir until dissolved. Heat the mixture on medium heat until it starts to boil and turn to low and simmer for about 3-5 minutes just until it thickens like syrup. (Adding cornstarch is a method to make the ice becomes smooth and soft).
- Pour mixture into a large mixing bowl, add the sugar and stir until fully dissolves. Let it cool down a little bit before adding the remaining ingredients. Add in sweetened condensed milk, fresh milk and vanilla extract if desired. Stir thoroughly until well blended and add coconut strings and mix well. Taste test your mixture and add sugar if needed.
- Use a funnel and ladle and pour the mixture into each Agogo wrapper about 5 inches high. If you don’t have a funnel you can use a pitcher. Tie the top tightly and trim the plastic if desired. Arrange Agogo in the freezer and freeze until frozen. Serve Agogo anytime and enjoy!
Summer + Ice Candy = Happiness
Fresh and Delicious Coconut Strings
Kids will surely go crazy over Agogo even adults too! I guess age doesn’t matter, we all love to eat ice candy right? It brings back childhood memories. I remember the tantrums we had, all the spanking just to have 1 Peso to buy Agogo. And you have no idea how many times I cried over ice candy when I was a little. I can’t forget this incident, when I’m about to take my first bite and my older brother push me from behind, my ice candy drops on the sand and I accidentally step on it. I scream and cried so hard hehe… And wait! There’s more, nope, I’m not gonna tell you… LOL