How to make Pichi Pichi Balls Recipe.
Pichi Pichi Balls Recipe. Pichi-pichi is a classic Filipino cassava recipe and an all time favourite kakanin. Pichi-Pich is very soft, sweet, sticky dessert, originally infused with pandan essence and green food colour but this time we try to infuse it with other flavors and colors for more appetizing to the kids. It is made from fresh grated cassava, sugar, water and pandan, steamed then coated in fresh grated coconut.
Pichi Pichi Balls Ingredients:
- 2 cups fresh grated cassava or thawed frozen cassava
- 1¾ cups white sugar
- 2 cups water
- ½ tsp. pandan extract + 2 drops of green food color gel
- ½ tsp. orange extract + 2 drops of orange food color gel
- ½ tsp. strawberry extract + a drop of red food color gel or (lemon for yellow and ube for purple)
- 20 pcs. bamboo skewers
- 2 cups fresh grated coconut
- To prepare the grated cassava first wash the cassava to get rid all the dirt and peel off the brown and white silky outer skin. Using a fine grater grate cassava and remove the hard stems in the middle and discard. Keep on grating until you’re done with all your cassava. Place grated cassava on a clean cheese cloth and squeeze out all the juices before using. If using a frozen cassava just thawed it first before using. Mix the cassava, sugar and water in a bowl and mix until smooth divide into 3 equal portions then add the extract and food color on each bowl and mix until well blended. If you don’t have a fine grater you can use a blender and blend the cassava mixture to make it smooth and divide into 3 then add desire flavour and color.
- Pour the mixture into small individual molds or round pan and place in a preheated steamer. Cover with a tight fitting lid and steam over medium heat for about 25-20 minutes or until just firm and looks transparent like a gelatin. Let it cool at room temperature and refrigerate for at least 4 hours for a firmer consistency, before cutting and skewing. You can use a fruit baller or any small round cutter will do. Skew pichi pichi balls alternately with different flavours for about 4-5 balls each stick, continue until all balls are done.