Suman sa Gata Recipe,
How to make Suman sa Gata “But-ong Kakanin” Recipe.
Suman sa Gata Recipe. Savor the goodness of the oldest and popular Filipino snack which is the Suman sa Gata. It is a Filipino treat of glutinous rice, grain or root cooked in coconut milk and sugar. The Suman sa Gata Recipe also known as “But-ong” Kakanin is infused with a sweet flavor and fragrance since it is wrapped using banana leaves and soaked in coconut milk.
Suman sa Gata “But-ong Kakanin” Ingredients:
- 2 cups glutinous rice “malagkit or pilit “
- 1/2 cup coconut milk “gata”
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 tbsp. white sugar
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 tbsp. red sago (optional)
- Banana leaves, wilted for wrapping
- 1 cup grated coconut
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 1/8 cup water
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract (optional)
- In a strainer wash glutinous rice and transfer in a saucepan. Mix glutinous rice, coconut milk, water, sugar, salt and red sago “tapioca pearls” if using one. Heat the pan over a low heat until it simmer. Mix continuously until the glutinous rice absorbs all the liquid mixture. Fire off, and let it cool before wrapping in a wilted banana leaf. To prepare the banana leaves, run the banana leaf over a stove top flame on low, one at a time just enough to wilt the leaves.
- Cut wilted banana leaves into 8×8 inches and fold in angle and roll to form a cone. Fill banana leaf with 3 tablespoons of glutinous rice mixture and press down lightly with the back of your spoon to flatten. Twist the top of the leaf to seal the mixture, then tie with a string. Continue with the remaining rice mixture until done. In a casserole put the extra leaves at the bottom, then arrange wrapped suman “But-ong” and fill with water just enough to cover it. Boil over on a low heat for about 1½ hour or until glutinous rice are fully cooked.
Let it cool slightly then serve with sweetened grated coconut or muscovado sugar. To make the sweetened coconut, mix grated coconut, coconut milk, water and brown sugar in a saucepan. Cook on a low heat, stir continuously until thickens and syrupy. Add the vanilla extract and mix well. Fire off, transfer on a small bowl and serve with Suman.