How to make Torta Mamon Cebuano Recipe.
Torta Mamon Cebuano Recipe. very rich delicacy from Cebu, spongy and sweet mamon. These Torta Mamon are in between sponge cake in texture, spongy but not fluffy and airy a bit moist yet firm almost muffin. An authentic recipe from Cebu and the original recipe calls for tuba or fermented coconut wine, and star anise. The tuba has a distinct aroma that makes your mouth watery, and the taste is sweet and with a hint of tangy at the same time. The Tuba actually used as their leavening agent and they wait for an hour or so to make the batter rise before baking it. And they used lard from pork fats to give the mamon a savory and robust flavor that makes it tasty but I find it not so healthy.
Torta Mamon Ingredients:
- 10 egg yolks
- 1 cup coconut juice
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 star anise
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp. baking powder
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ½ cup or 1 stick of butter at room temperature
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 1/8 cup fresh milk
- 1 sm. can (168ml) sweetened condensed milk
- Line molds with paper liners, but if you don’t have you can use wax paper and greased it with butter lightly and set aside. Separate eggs and whisk egg yolks until smooth and set aside the egg whites for another recipe, such as angel food cake, meringue, lengua de gato, sylvanas and etc…
- Preheat your oven at 350F. Boil the coconut juice and sugar over a low heat for 5 minutes and add in the star anise at the last minute to infuse in the syrup, set aside to cool. In a bowl, sift over flour, baking powder and salt together until well mixed and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl cream the butter until smooth and pale and add in the egg yolks and mix for a minute. Add the oil, coconut syrup and condensed milk while continuously mixing. I don’t want to waste the condensed milk left in the can, so I pour the fresh milk into can and scrape all sides and stir, then add into the mixing bowl.
- Lastly add the flour mixture and whisk until incorporated but don’t over beat the batter. Pour the batter into the prepared molds, or divide the batter using an ice cream scoop to yield a dozen of Torta Mamon.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350F for about 18-25 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let it cool just enough you can handle it, then brush with margarine or butter lightly on top and sprinkle with caster or refined sugar on top and let it cool on a wire rack.