Cassava Suman Recipe,
How to cookÂ Cassava SumanÂ Recipe.
Cassava SumanÂ Recipe.Â Â It is one of the older Filipino desserts or snacks. It consists of grated coconut and cassava, coconut milk and sugar wrapped in banana leaves and steam for a short period of time. For another variation, chocolate fillings can be added inside the cassava or you can have it as a dip.
Cassava SumanÂ Ingredients:
- 1Â½ cups grated cassava
- 1/8 cup thick coconut milk
- Â¼ cups young coconut or macapuno, shredded
- Â¼ cups + 2tbsp. refine sugar
- wilted, banana leaves
Cassava SumanÂ Procedure:Â Â Â Â Â Â
- Cook thick coconut milk and grated cassava in a medium heat until the coconut milk dissolves in half and becomes sticky.
- Add the refine sugar and grated young coconut or macapuno shredded, stir for a couple more minutes.
- Remove from heat and let it cool for 5 minutes.
- Prepare the banana leaves by cutting it into desired size roughly 8 x 6 inch, run it through an open flame (stove-top fire or even charcoal) quickly just enough to release the leaf oil, prevent it from burning.
- Prepare the steamer with a litre of water and let it boil in a medium heat.
- In a prepared wilted banana leaf, scoop about 2tbsp. of cassava mixture into the leaf and place on the center.
- Lift and roll banana leaf, enclosing filling and fold both ends, repeat procedure until done.
- Arrange on steamer rack in a staggered pile.
- Steam the cassava suman for about 15 minutes or until itâ€™s tender to the touch.
- Serve suman warm or cold.
An all time favorite meryenda, you can serve it either warm or cold with a cold soft drink